Translate

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Huzzah32 - Thermal camera

I always  wanted to have a thermal camera to play around.
yeah yeah, I really don't NEED one, but it can be quite useful sometime and, well, I just like to have another tool.
If you are reading this blog I'm sure you can relate with me on that :)

Of course the main barrier for this kind of desire is the cost, until I did find on Adafruit a nice affordable kit : AMG8833 IR Thermal Camera Breakout

So, I decided to give a try and I did buy one. Worked immediately, no problems using an Huzzah32 as processor and TFT touch screen.
Adafruit has a nice article about how to put together these to have a thermal camera.

Then I did find some improvements to the project, including a 3D print plan to enclose the electronic from the Moving Electrons blog.
The article also has modifications to the original code from Adafruit adding some extra possibilities, like the capability to select the temperature range.

Applied the modifications, worked nicely, and then I decided to print out the enclosure using Shapeways (would be great to have a 3D printer .. who knows, one day maybe :) ).

Note that the original STL file downloaded from the blog needed some adjustments in order to be printed and there are some limitations. The adjustments were made by Shapeways and the limitations are about the material to use.
I had to opt for a higher quality of plastic, so little bit more expensive, but all considered the result is quite impressive and worth the extra cost.



Another things not mentioned in the article are some parts and screw to be used.

Here what I used.


Populating the box was straightforward.
Here the final result.








No comments:

Post a Comment