Lasagne. Yes, I use the term "lasagnE" rather than the other term "lasagnA", is more commonly used from where I'm coming from :)
Apparently we geek love lasagne :)
I want to share here our recipe we use to prepare lasagne (we, my wife and I).
I'm not claiming this recipe to be "the" recipe, there are millions ways to prepare lasagne but surely is more Italian than many recipes I saw here in USA.
This is ours and we love it :)
Attention ! This recipe requires a LOT of time and a lot of work, up to two days to prepare everything !
This recipe should allow to prepare two big baking pan and a small one of lasagne, plus some extra
It should be enough for at least 10-12 people.
To prepare this recipe, you need to have three things :
- The meat sauce (ragu' di carne)
- The pasta
- The besciamella
The three things are needed to be prepared in the listed order.
It is suggested to prepare the sauce the day before since it can take between 7 to 9 hours to be ready.
It is also possible to prepare lasagne the day before to eat it.
The meat sauceThe meat sauce, or “ragu' di carne”, also known as “bolognese”, is a meat based sauce.
Tools needed :
- a big pot
- (optional) a big crock pot
- Grounded lean Beef Meat (at least 4 pounds)
- 2 or 3 big Onions
- Garlic (2 or 3 small cloves)
- 2 or 3 carrots
- 3 big cans Crushed tomatoes
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Dry white wine
Cut the onions, the carrots and garlic in small pieces.
Put them in the big pot with some oil and bring up to medium-high heat and cook for few minutes, until the onions starts to have a lightly golden color.
Put the ground beef in the pot and cook the meat until it turn all brown, mixing it with the onions and
It will take a while.
When the meat is all brown, add some dry white wine and let it evaporate.
Then add the tomato, add salt , some sugar (helps to reduce the acidity) and a little sprinkle of black
pepper and cook until the sauce starts to be hot (bubbles starts to come out).
If you have a big crock pot, capable to contain all the sauce prepared, move the sauce in the crock pot
and set it up for 6/7 hours at high temperature, or 8/9 hours at lower temperature.
If you DON'T have the crock pot, reduce the heat to low and let cook for at least 4 hours, checking that the sauce doesn't become too dry.
Add hot water if necessary to keep the sauce moist and mix the sauce not too often.
At the end of the cooking on the surface should be present a lot of grease/oil (it depends about the kind of meat used. Lean meat will leave less grease/oil)
Gently, with a big spoon, remove as much as grease/oil as you can.
Don't trash the oil away in the sink !! It will clog the pipes and create problems to the sewer system!
Collect it in a old bottle and recycle it.
The meat sauce is ready.
Of course the most important ingredient for lasagne is the pasta.
It is possible to buy ready-to-use pasta for lasagne, however is much better to prepare the pasta from
Tools needed :
- (optional) Bread machine
- Pasta maker
- a big bowl
- dough cutter or small pizza cutter
- A large area where to put pasta
- 4 Eggs
- 4 cups white Flour
The bread machine is perfect to mix the raw ingredients and create the dough.
Put in the bread machine pan the 4 eggs and 500 g of flour (about 4 cups).
Start to mix and add little bit of water until the dough starts to be firm.
If become too wet (sticky) add white flour until is fixed.
If become too dry add little bit of water.
Without the bread machine you need another way to mix the ingredients.
Can be manually or another kind of machine. The bread machine is the best option for my experience.
At this point we need to prepare the “sheets” of pasta.
To do so, we need to use a tool called “pasta maker”.
Here a step-by-step guide to prepare the pasta sheets :
- From the main dough, cut it out a little piece and form a small ball, about 2-3 inches diameter
- Select the maximum opening on the pasta maker and put the ball in it , then start to roll it
- Repeat the process folding the sheet of pasta and spreading a little bit of flour between every passage
- When the sheet of pasta start to be tight and without crumbling and without “holes”, select the medium opening and repeat the process two or three times
- Select the smallest opening and pass the sheet of pasta in it. A long sheet of pasta should come out.
- Cut it in pieces, 5 or 6 inches long and place them on a table. Better to cover the table with a cloth.
- Repeat the process from 1 until all the dough is done.
If everything is done correctly, the entire table should be covered by 5 or 6 inches pieces pasta sheets.
The besciamellaThe besciamella is another sauce based on milk and butter.
To prepare it is necessary to have just a medium pot.
|Just as referral :|
- Butter (100 g - ~7 tablespoon)
- Milk (1 liter - ~ 4 cups)
- Flour (130 g - ~9 tablespoon)
Put all the ingredients in the pot and cook at medium-low until a “sauce” medium tick is forming.
Let's prepare lasagne !
Without the tool is better to place 2 or 3 sheets of pasta in the water at the time, leave them in it for 3-4 minutes, then retrieve them with a big fork or something that can drain the water.
When some pasta sheets are ready (cooked) is possible to start to build the lasagne.
Better to be at least in two. One cooking the pasta sheets and preparing them ready to be used, and the other building lasagne.
- Pick a up one baking pan
- Scrub the entire pan with butter
- Start to put a layer of pasta
- Put on it a thin layer of grated Parmesan cheese
- Put on it a layer of besciamella
- Put on it a layer of meat sauce
- Go to the point 3 and repeat until there are enough layers of pasta to reach the top of the baking pan
Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil. It is ready to put in the oven.
When all the baking pan are ready, pre-heat the oven for 400 and then put the pans in it for at least 40
Lasagne are ready !
What to do with leftoversUsually some pasta sheets and some meat sauce are left over.
A neat way to use them is to cut the pasta sheets (using the pasta maker tool) in spaghetti or fetuccine.
Cook the pasta in the water used to cook the other pasta sheets, for 3-4 minutes.
Remove the pasta from the pot and add in it some meat sauce.
You end up with a wonderful home made “spaghetti alla bolognese” plate.
Extremely yummy ! Add some grated Parmesan cheese on the top.