Translate

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Retrofit a small desk lamp with LED

Among the LED lamp kit I had around, there was a 3W Cree Xlamp 7090 with a small power supply.
For a while I kept it mounted it in a cable clipper, glued under a shelf.
Then, after some renovation in the Athena's room, a small desk lamp caught my attention and I decided to retrofit it with  such kit.
I removed the original lamp socket and rewired the base of the lamp.
Like the electronic  lab lamp I did, I decided to put in the lamp top reflector only the LED with the heat-sink.
The power supply, a very small one, is in the base.
Here some pictures and notes :
img_6391.jpg
This is the small desk lamp retrofitted with the Cree 3Watt LED.
img_6371.jpg
This is the kit used to retrofit the small desk lamp.
Originally I placed the diffuser/lens, but for this application I removed it since the light is better reflected by the lamp diffuser.
img_6372.jpg
The lamp base opened.
The weight is insulated by a plastic bag.
The base material is plastic, so already insulated.
img_6375.jpg
Here the base emptied.
img_6387.jpg
And here the base retrofitted.
The power supply (on the right)  and the new small cable carrying the LED power supply entering in the shaft (on the left).
img_6389.jpg
 Here the LED glued on the heat-sink and  attached to the original lamp support.
img_6390.jpg 
The lamp on.  A very nice and strong light.
More than enough to replace the original 40W incandescent bulb.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful info specially the last part :) I care for such info much. I was looking for this particular information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.
    LED light bars

    ReplyDelete