Translate

Sunday, June 12, 2022

Chamberlain Garage Monitor repair


As usual I love to go exploring in flea market/antique malls.
Last time I did find a new Chamberlain Garage Control
Of course the unit ended up in the flea market because not working.


Determining the problem

First of all I was lucky that everything in the original package was present.
So screws, sensor, power supply, etc.
Everything supposed to be in, it was.

Naturally the first thing I did was to power up the unit connecting it to the it's power supply.

Nothing. Totally dead.

In a way it is the best type of problems because it can be simply a power supply problem.
Thus the first measure I did was the voltage out the power supply : 5.07 V
Perfect

This excluded the power supply (wall wart).

Time to open the unit.


The first thing I did was to check for clear damages but visually was OK, the same for a quick "smell test", no burning smell or strange one.

Since the unit was totally dead I did assume the problem was focused on the power supply area, so I concentrate my effort there.

I did start to follow some connections and soon I did find that the voltage disappeared almost immediately around the power connector, thus I started to check in deep for bad solder.
Many components were actually soldered electrically rather than using tin and after a while, touching the power supply connector, the power did reach the main circuit !

Found it !

Fixing the problem

It was a bad connection.

The bad connection is located just on the right of the capacitor.
Only touching it was possible to see the effect, visually seemed OK.


I bet it lasted enough to allow the unit to pass the tests in the factory, then transporting and movement made the power supply SMD connector to become detached from the PCB.

I did solder the connector back to the PCB and the unit restarted to work.

I was lucky this time.
Closed back the unit and installed, it works like a charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment